i miss you, still
no longer in a deep, aching way,
but rather in the dull hum of my car radio
i hope you smiled today
and while you’re getting swept up
in the excitement and mystery and
passion of this confusing, intriguing,
heartbreaking, beautiful life,
i hope you never forget what is most important
i hope you remember that
it’s not about finding someone to complete
and write sappy poems about,
it’s not about listening to soft music on repeat
with your eyes closed,
wishing you were somewhere else
or someone else,
and it’s not about doing well on exams,
or traveling the world,
or always being artificial sunshine
instead of being real
because it’s okay to have sad days,
and a number in the corner of a page
can’t give you lasting satisfaction,
and you can’t be everyone’s prince charming,
and while music stirs up something
so beautiful inside of us,
you can’t hide in your melancholy world
of D minor, forever
every night i pray that you’re not lost,
that you’re somehow finding your way,
i can’t speak these words to you directly,
i hope you know
i’ll always care.
1. Consciously teach yourself to relax, and practice relaxation as soon as you feel stressed.
2. Pay attention to what you eat and drink.
3. A warm shower or bath can help our muscles to relax, and can help ease the tension in our body and mind.
4. Talking with someone who accepts us as we are – and is nonjudgmental – is highly therapeutic.
5. Recognise that there are things that are outside our control – and there are some situations that we simply cannot change.
6. Reward and indulge yourself with things that you enjoy so you feel respected and valued as a person. (For example, buy some clothes you love, or get your hair and nails done)
7. Make an effort to establish and maintain a work/ life balance. You need to make time for your hobbies, and to hang out with your friends.
8. Organise your time, and prioritise your tasks. You’ll feel a lot less anxious if you get things done on time.
9. Recognise that you have limits and enforce your boundaries. If you live with too much pressure you will end up overwhelmed.
10. Keep a sense of humour – smile and laugh throughout the day.